NYS Licensing Information
How to Apply for a NYS Real Estate Salesperson’s License
To obtain a New York State Real Estate Salesperson’s License, one must:
1. A salesperson license applicant will be required to show proof of completing 75 hours of approved education and passing the associated exam(s). Those salesperson applicants who completed the 45 hour salesperson course prior to July 1, 2008 may complete the additional 30 hour remedial qualifying course to satisfy the 75 hour requirement. Click here for a schedule of upcoming 'remedial' classes. See below if you have completed only 45 hours, as you may need to take the 30 Hour Remedial Course...
- The 30-hour Remedial Course is required for two types of licensure applicants:
- Individuals who have completed the “old” 45-hour salespersons course, and want a New York salesperson license, but have not completed the salesperson licensure requirements as of July 1, 2008, and;
- Individuals who want a New York broker or associate broker license who have completed the “old” 45-hour salesperson course (and the 45 hour Broker licensing course).
- Applicants MUST apply online, via the Occupational Licensing Management System, eAccessNY, to take either the Salesperson or Broker exam. NO WALK-IN TESTING IS PERMITTED. The exam must be paid for at the time of reservation ($15 fee). Proceed to eAccessNY.
- Persons with disabilities who require accessibility information or who require testing modifications should not schedule an exam and should instead call 518-473-2731.
- If you pass the exam, you should apply for your license online utilizing your account in eAccessNY.
- If you fail the exam, you can schedule another exam by utilizing your account in eAccessNY.
Eligibility Requirements: You must be 18 years of age or older at the time you apply, and have no felony convictions (other than those that have been pardoned). You must have a high school diploma or GED certificate/diploma. Questions about licensing may be directed to the NYS DOS at the following numbers or visit http://www.dos.ny.gov/licensing/re_salesperson/re_salesperson.html:
- Albany: 518-474-4429
- Buffalo: 716-847-7110