Issues of alleged violations of the REALTOR® Code of Ethics, commission disputes, and even interpersonal conflicts can be addressed with the assistance of the Greater Rochester Association of REALTORS® (GRAR). If you are a member of GRAR or a member of the public and you’ve experienced an issue with a GRAR REALTOR® that remains unresolved, you may choose to pursue one of the following two options:
Here are some key points of comparison between the dispute resolution options.
- No cost
- A quicker process
- Often a win/win outcome
- A wide range of solutions
- Improves relationships
- Parties involved control the outcome
- Cost – Amount is dependent on length and complexity of the case
- More time consuming
- Win/lose outcome
- Results limited
- May damage relationships
- Panel controls the outcome
- No cost
- Quick resolution
- Use to educate
Mediation is the use of a third party to support the conversation of people in conflict as they talk. Both parties decide to enter the Mediation process and can leave the process anytime. A neutral Mediator facilitates the process.
If you would like to submit a request for Mediation, complete the Mediation Request form linked to below.
File an Ethics Complaint
A formal grievance process assists members and the public in handling disputes of alleged violations of the Code of Ethics (reviewed by the Professional Standards Committee) and/or disputes arising out of a claim for commission (reviewed by the Arbitration Committee).
Before you file a complaint, this information guide provides important information about the NAR complaint process.
- 2024 National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) Code of Ethics
- Complaint Form (print, complete, and submit to GRAR or use the Online Complaint Form below)
- Arbitration – GRAR Member Request Form
- Arbitration – Non-GRAR Member Request and Agreement to Arbitrate Form
If you have questions for GRAR about filing a complaint, you can contact us via email or by calling GRAR Member Services at 585-292-5000.
GRAR Members Looking to Report MLS Violations
For GRAR Members who would like to report an MLS violation:
If the listing is an on-market listing in the MLS, use the Report an Error icon found on one of these two displays in Matrix:
- REALTOR Full
- 360 Property View
The icon is a yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside:
Are you a GRAR Member looking to report a potential off-market listing violation?
Please email GRARMLSRules@grar.net and attach or include the following:
- Property Address
- Agent or brokerage name that is advertising the property for sale or coming soon
- Please include any photos or screen shots that shows the potential violation (yard sign, social media, etc.)