NYS Licensing Information
How to Apply for a NYS Real Estate Salesperson’s License
To obtain a New York State Real Estate Salesperson’s License, one must:
1. A salesperson license applicant will be required to show proof of completing 75 hours of approved education and passing the associated exam(s).
Those salesperson applicants who completed the 45 hour salesperson course prior to July 1, 2008 may complete the additional 30 hour remedial qualifying course to satisfy the 75 hour requirement. Click here for a schedule of upcoming ‘remedial’ classes. See below if you have completed only 45 hours, as you may need to take the 30 Hour Remedial Course…
The 30-hour Remedial Course is required for two types of licensure applicants:
- Individuals who have completed the “old” 45-hour salespersons course, and want a New York salesperson license, but have not completed the salesperson licensure requirements as of July 1, 2008, and;
- Individuals who want a New York broker or associate broker license who have completed the “old” 45-hour salesperson course (and the 45 hour Broker licensing course).
2. Successfully complete the NY State Department of State’s licensing exam with a minimum of 70% correct. This exam is administered locally at the Monroe Developmental Center, located at 620 Westfall Road.
- Applicants MUST apply online, via the Occupational Licensing Management System, eAccessNY, to take either the Salesperson or Broker exam. NO WALK-IN TESTING IS PERMITTED. The exam must be paid for at the time of reservation ($15 fee). Proceed to eAccessNY.
- Persons with disabilities who require accessibility information or who require testing modifications should not schedule an exam and should instead call 518-473-2731.
3. Exam results will be available online by utilizing your account on the eAccessNY web site.
The exam results will be available as soon as possible after they are received by the Exam Unit and scored. You must correctly answer at least 70 percent of the questions to pass the exam. Exam results are reported as either passed or failed; you will not receive a numerical score. Passed exam results are only valid for a period of two years. Results will not be given over the phone, so please do not call Licensing Services for them.
- If you pass the exam, you should apply for your license online utilizing your account in eAccessNY.
- If you fail the exam, you can schedule another exam by utilizing your account in eAccessNY.
Eligibility Requirements: You must be 18 years of age or older at the time you apply, and have no felony convictions (other than those that have been pardoned). You must have a high school diploma or GED certificate/diploma. Questions about licensing may be directed to the NYS DOS Website or at the following numbers:
- Albany: 518-474-4429
- Buffalo: 716-847-7110