Career in Real Estate
If you’re interested in a career in Real Estate and would like to obtain a Real Estate Salesperson license in New York State, the steps entailed are outlined below. Once you’ve become a licensed REALTOR®, complete the online application to join GRAR. If you have any questions about the licensing process or membership with GRAR, please call GRAR Member Services at 585.292.5000. We are happy to help guide you through the process.
Obtaining a Real Estate License
1. New York State Real Estate Salesperson License Eligibility Requirements:
- You must be 18 years of age or older at the time you apply
- Have no felony convictions (other than those that have been pardoned)
Questions about licensing may be directed to the NYS Department of State
2. Take 75 Hour Course and Pass the Course Exam:
- Successfully complete 75 hours of a New York State Department of State approved Salesperson’s Licensing Course (see local and online options here)
- Pass the required course exam with a minimum score of 70%
- There is a requirement of a minimum of 90% course hour attendance, which means you may only miss 7.5 hours of class
- Students are responsible for learning material covered during an absence
- YOU DO NOT NEED A SPONSORING BROKER TO TAKE THE 75 HOUR COURSE
More information on licensing courses offered at GRAR
3. Take the State Exam:
- Successfully complete the New York State Department of State’s licensing exam with a minimum score of 70%
- To register, go to the Department of State Licensing Web Page to learn how and where to register, information on exam dates, times, locations and fees can be found on the Department of State’s website. Pre-registration is required.
In Rochester, state exams are administered at:
- Finger Lakes DDSO
620 Westfall Road
Rochester, NY 14620
Directions to the exam location:
- NYS Thruway to Exit 46,
- Take 390 North to exit 16,
- Turn RIGHT on East Henrietta Road,
- Turn right at 2nd traffic light onto Westfall Road,
- Finger Lakes DDSO is on LEFT.
- *Park in lot on right. Do not enter through main lobby. Look “New York State Testing” sign.
4. Apply for Salesperson’s License
To apply for licensure you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age at the time you apply
- Have successfully completed a Department of State approved 75 Hour qualifying course and exam for that course
- Note: If you have completed the 45 Hour salesperson qualifying course prior to July 1, 2008, but never applied for a license, you must complete the 30 Hour supplemental course in order to qualify for licensure
- Be sponsored by a NYS licensed real estate broker
- Pass the NYS real estate salesperson examination
Apply for a Real Estate Salesperson’s license on the NYS Department of State website.
5. GRAR Membership
- If you are interested in becoming a member of the Greater Rochester Association of REALTORS® (GRAR), please follow these steps to guide you through the process.
- If you have questions, please contact a GRAR staff member at email@example.com, 585-292-5000 or 800-292-7101 during business hours (Monday-Thursday from 8:30am-4:30pm and Fridays 9:30am-4:30pm).
- All fees are pro-rated based on the month you join.
- New member application fee $299
- GRAR Dues – $334/yr.
- MLS Fee – $529/yr.
- State and National Association dues – $100/yr. and $185/yr., respectively.
Learn about the qualifications and the course – Broker License